Friday, September 25, 2009

Thomas Jefferson Education Method and Catholic Homeschool




I've come across Thomas Jefferson Education Method when I was researching about appropriate classic books for my children. It just didn't stick with me at that time until it was brought again to my attention.

The focus on the 3 R's, that is, Reading, wRiting, aRithmetic is one of the basic educational philosophy of Thomas Jefferson. The Robinson Curriculum has this too for his underlying focus.
I also agree with focusing on the 3 R's first before anything else.

I disagree though with Thomas Jefferson himself when he said that the other "r" for Religion and the study of the bible should be left out of the hands of students.

The study of faith takes precedence in my homeschooling goals. I used the Robinson Curriculum on the assumption that there is no questionable books against the Catholic Faith. I used the Robinson Method because I like the book sequence and its ability to advance the reading level of my children. But, the 4th "R" is very important for any Catholic Homeschooling Families. It is for this reason, that I do not recommend this education method for Catholic Homeschoolers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Then you need to read the book. You are mistaken that God is not brought into this type of education. In fact the Thomas Jefferson Education model as taught in "A Thomas Jefferson Education for the 21st Century" is all about the 5 pillars of education. Classics, Mentors, God, Simulations, Field Experience. These 5 pillars are the keystone to education. So before you dismiss the method, read the book.