Friday, September 25, 2009

Teach Science After Calculus




In my Catholic large family discussion group, Patti made a comment on Science in college.

I wrote:

"Science is after calculus. I know this will create dissent. But, I have no problems with it. I do not stop the kids from enjoying nature and reading about it in the encyclopedia. There is just no formal study until after calculus."

Patti comments:


Actually, being a chemical engineer major in college (although I met my dh and decided that was NOT what I wanted for my life anymore ;-), I tend to agree about the formal study of science AFTER the study of mathematics. I believe that SERIOUS study of the sciences is very difficult without the proper mathematical background...too much must be taken for granted and not fully understood (particularly in physics and chemistry, but even to an extent in the other sciences). The Apologia high school series has math requirements for each level...but I even think they are a little lenient in this regard.

This all being said, I love the Apologia younger series for an introduction to science from a natural science point of view. This can be easily understood, particularly when you bring the Creator into it, without higher math. I'm sure there are plenty of other series that focus on natural sciences that can be used for younger children....I just happen to like this series -- we're even lapbooking it this year!

I personally love the idea of TJE and Robinson....I actually own the Robinson curriculum. But I have problems implementing it with our learning issues here (two dysgraphic, highly kinesthetic learners). But I keep hoping for a child that it will work well with....still have four that have yet to be determined ;-)

Blessings,
Patti


No comments: