Friday, September 11, 2009

Public School Vs. Homeschooling: Which is Better?


The article 'Public School Vs. Homeschooling: Which is better?" is one of my recent articles with the purpose of encouraging Christian parents to pull their children out of public school. Read the article here.



I was educated in a Catholic private school from Kindergarten to High School. It was run by the Maryknoll sisters. We have nuns to teach us for Religion classes. I recall quite well Sister Clotilde. She was an American around the age of 75 years old. She would walk and check out each room and interrupt the lessons to give us some piece of advise. She was very outspoken and direct. She would not hesitate to tell you what she thought.

I recall quite vividly one personal encounter with her as a 4th grade student. Sister Clotilde visited my classroom and talked about apples in the basket. She asked us "If there is just one single apple left, would you take it or leave it alone?" My world stopped for a moment. I usually take the best portion in the meals that my parents served us during dinner. It was really something to think about. It is very funny that I never forgot that incident.

I have such wonderful experience with my Catholic school that I vowed that my children will go to a Catholic school too.

Well, I did send my children to private school for the first four years of their lives in a Catholic school until we immigrated to the Virginia in 2000. Private school was not affordable to me as a single parent. I justified and rationalized everything that my children will be in good hands.

In 2001, I moved to California. I was very disappointed with the school system so I homeschooled my two boys. My younger son then 9 years old was taught using Abeka. The older son, who was 13 at that time, used SETON.

I was pleased with both curricula but SETON caught my attention because my older son, who was a reluctant reader liked it very much. He loved the Saints stories and was able to follow through the curriculum without any problems. Meanwhile my younger son was just too young too complain.

No comments: