Thursday, November 19, 2009

Cheating in Saxon Math

My 12 year old is a very smart boy. Yet, he gets very easily stressed out. He is very sensitive. I have posted that he was getting 100% Saxon Math the past three days. I was very happy. Good academic performance has been used by psychologists as a good indicator of emotional health.

It has been one whole month that I noticed him unable to focus in his homeschooling. This is not unusual for him because he gets easily stressed out. I always use his focus as a gauge if something is stressing him out. You could just imagine my relief knowing that he was doing well.

Sad to say, I found the answer key hidden in the futon where he does his Saxon Math. I had two answer keys and I thought the other one was in his Dad's car. I recall telling him four days ago that I am going to sell the other copy of Saxon Math. I noticed a change on his face but did not think anything to that.

So finding out that he was using the answer key doe not come as a surprise for me. With this sensitive child, we have our challenges. His good behavior was never consistent.

But, I restrained myself from getting upset. I tried to understand him and brought him closer to me. I told him that I have been noticing his lack of focus the past month. I told him that our 6 hour school work is very rigorous and he needs to balance his life with looking forward to "fun" things to do for him.

Being an introvert, he did not really have any suggestions. But, for some reason, I let him draw a house, a tree, and a person. Hopefully, I can let an art therapist find out what is going on with him.

1 comment:

Christopher Engelsma said...

what is an art therapist? and perhaps six hours is too long of a school day for him. does this kid play?